Friday, November 25, 2011

The Birth of Venus in Lederhosen

Earlier this year, I got the opportunity to do a huge chalk drawing on a huge chalkboard, paneled wall. The only parameter was that the drawing had to have a German bier garten theme.
The visual theme of the rest of the place was whimsically sexual, so after some thinking, I decided to do a loose homage to Botticelli's "The Birth of Venus."







I named it, "The Birth of Venus in Lederhosen."



This is after my first 5 hours working on the wall. I placed the scene in a mountain valley because mountains seem more German to me than the ocean does. Accordingly, a mountain stream replaces the ocean, and goat-men replace the Zephyrs on Venus' right and the one Hour on her left. The cherubs pouring beer down from giant steins to create the mountain stream just seemed like a fun idea.





Here is the wall with a flash to better show the upper corners of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment